Monday, December 13, 2010

My memoir - also an homage to Paul

We had dinner with a group of friends last night and one of them asked me if working on the revisions to my memoir manuscript made me cry. And, of course the answer was yes. But, the crying is well worth it. Now I have a revised manuscript that I've just sent off to my publisher, and I'm that much closer to my book being released for the public. My goal has always been to tell the story of Paul's bipolar disorder, his suicide, and how our family survived in the hopes of helping others going through the same kind of experience. And, now I'm that much closer to reaching that goal.


My husband Bob also says he cries every time he reads parts of my book. I just hope the sadness my book evokes won't be a turnoff to getting people to read it. Well I won't worry about that now. I know Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking was a best seller. If I get a fraction of the readership that she did I won't complain.

I also want my book to be an homage and a way of remembering my son. I want the world to know that a beautiful and talented Paul Sharples existed and that he was very much loved. I'm getting closer to that goal as well.


The Compassionate Friends is an organization that assists families toward the positive resolution of grief following the death of a child of any age and to provide information to help others be supportive.


The Compassionate Friends is about transforming the pain of grief into the elixir of hope. It takes people out of the isolation society imposes on the bereaved and lets them express their grief naturally. With the shedding of tears, healing comes. And the newly bereaved get to see people who have survived and are learning to live and love again.”

—Simon Stephens, founder of The Compassionate Friends
Yesterday was worldwide day to honor and remember children who have died at any age from any cause. Candles were lit at 7 pm to create a wave of light and unite bereaved families around the globe. The Compassionate Friends provided a memory book for posting memories, thoughts, musings, prayers, and expressions of love for our lost children. The book is closed for posting now, but will remain on view until the next Worldwide Candle Lighting. 
For more information about The Compassionate Friends go to: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/home.aspx

No comments: