Friday, January 4, 2013

Back to writing work

What a relief to not have to drive an hour to Anaheim and back anymore. I finished my consulting job - which I loved - but I'm very happy not to have to do that stressful drive anymore. 

So instead, I'm using my time to catch up on my writing work.

The first order of business is gathering my November 2012 challenge poems into a chapbook. Robert Lee Brewer's instructions are to submit no more than twenty by January 7 - this coming Monday.  I went through them this afternoon and picked out fifteen. I have a little editing left to do, and then I plan to get the document off tomorrow. After that I'm on to the next item on my list. 

It gives me great joy (there's my word Joy that I picked for 2013) to tick items off my to-do list.

Here's a preview of a couple of poems I'm submitting.

This prompt was to write about something just beneath my skin.


Just Beneath My Skin

Unfortunately
those miracle creams
that are supposed to
get rid of age spots
fine lines, deep wrinkles
don’t work
No matter how much I slather on
they just linger there
like a film on my face,
neck and décolletage.
They never get to where they belong
just beneath my skin

This prompt was to write a poem about a wheel (my suggestion) - any use of the word wheel.

Photo by Madeline

The London Eye


Every 30 seconds a capsule door opens

to let passengers in or out.
Yet the giant Ferris wheel
doesn’t stop so that
slowly, carefully
we see the London landscape
from every angle.
As we gaze through the glass oval
capsule walls
we also see into the capsule below
and watch a couple
in full wedding regalia
get married.
The only thing we miss -
enjoying a sip
of their celebratory champagne
with their thirty guests.



No comments: