Friday, August 7, 2009

Reiki vs traditional massage -- or both?

What is Reiki? According to the International Center for Reiki Training:

Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.

The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."


I had my first Reiki session last night and it was one of my most calming and relaxing experiences. My friend, who is a Reiki master, began by laying her hands on my eyes for what seemed like a half hour. And, the longer her hands stayed there, the warmer the sensation. She continued laying her hands point by point on the rest of my body - front and back (I was fully clothed), but the heat sensations were not nearly as strong as with my eyes. My friend said it meant I had a lot of clutter to get rid of in the area around my eyes and head.

Then this morning I had my usual bi-monthly deep tissue massage -- not relaxing at all. In fact I was so tight on the left side of my neck and shoulders, it was sometimes painful. When I told my massage therapist I had my first Reiki experience she immediately asked me if my Reiki master lay her hands on my eyes. She also instinctively knew I have a lot going on in that area.

Kind of coincidental. And, it's also coincidental that she barters a Reiki session for a massage with a friend.

So, in my mind, I up for doing both. I need the deep tissue work becasue of all the sitting I do in front of the computer. And, I also need a relaxation technique like Reiki. Plus, I want to find out the miraculous results the International Center says could result.

2 comments:

Pamela Miles said...

Many of the massage therapists I've trained to practice Reiki choose to incorporate it into their massage sessions. Because Reiki is a spiritual healing practice, a few minutes of Reiki touch at the beginning of the massage relaxes and centers both the massage therapist and the client, and deepens their rapport. Placing hands lightly on muscles that are particularly tight enables Reiki touch to soften the area so that it can be worked deeply with less pain. Another few minutes of Reiki touch to end the session leaves both massage therapist and client centered and refreshed.

madeline40 said...

Thanks so much, Pamela.