And an organization founded before Paul was born in 1971. Another one we should have known about.
American Association of Suicidology
The American Association of Suicidology (AAS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the understanding and prevention of suicide with the goal of understanding and preventing suicide.
AAS accomplishes this mission by directing efforts to:
- Advance suicidology as a science; encouraging, developing, and disseminating scholarly work in suicidology.
- Encourage the development and application of strategies that reduce the incidence and prevalence of suicidal behaviors.
- Compile, develop, evaluate and disseminate accurate information about suicidal behaviors to the public.
- Foster the highest possible quality of suicide prevention, intervention and postvention to the public.
- Publicize official AAS positions on issues of public policy relating to suicide.
- Promote research and training in suicidology.
Founded in 1968, AAS promotes research, public awareness programs, public education and training for professionals and volunteers. For more information about the American Association of Suicidology go to:http://www.suicidology.org