Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Getting the word out about my memoir day by day


There has been a lot of mentions of my memoir, Leaving the Hall Light On. On Saturday two women wrote they have to read my book in a conversation on the Facebook page called Loss of An Adult or Young Adult Child.


Monday I got a call from an old friend of Bob’s who lives in Springfield IL that he just finished my book and how much he thinks it will help others.

Yesterday I received an actual letter from a woman I’ve never met. She said “someone” gave her my book and this was “the first time I have found a story about my son Jason…our stories are the same.” Her own son died by suicide ten years ago. She also said – and this is mind blowing – that my Paul was in her home in Redondo Beach. She says she’d like to speak with me and left a phone number. I called and left a message but haven’t heard back.

This letter only emphasizes how many stories are out there like my own. I hear words like this mother’s over and over again when I tell them what my book is about.

And, I did figure out who gave her the book. I’ll divulge that as soon as the story plays out a little more.

Then today, Leaving the Hall Light On was the featured book on Book#HashTags, the place for finding and joining in conversations about the books we love. The hash tag for my book is #LightOn.

WOW. I wonder what’s in store for tomorrow.

All this attention is definitely a good sign. It means word is getting out, and supposedly word of mouth is the best way to sell books. Right now I don’t see a lot big sales results, but I am indeed encouraged. The more people who read and know about my book gets us closer to erasing the stigma of mental illness and suicide – and hopefully to saving lives.

No comments: