Friday, January 21, 2011

A change of pace

I've decided to lighten up on the subject today and write about my exercise program. Sometimes I get to thinking it's a heavy subject because I'm so obsessed about exercising (I do some form of exercise everyday), but it really doesn't comes close to some of the other subjects I've been writing about lately.

On December 13, 2007 I posted about the Health Miles program that I particpate in at my gym. (http://us.virginhealthmiles.com/pages/home.aspx) So if you care to read more information about the program please go there. 

The main thing I want to say about it now is that I've re-upped again into the Health Miles program for another year. My reup date was January 17, and since that date came and went and I'm still participating, it means that for the next year I'll be exercising at my usual pace yet again.

Every year I go through the same thoughts. Should I keep going or should I give myself a break? In 2007 I posed the same question and that was after being in the program for only one year. And I ask myself the question every year because staying in the program is very hard work. 

But it’s not all bad. It’s my self-challenge. No one is telling me that I have to wear a pedometer all day, every day and download my steps and record my daily exercise accomplishments. No one has told me that I have to pay the $10.00 a month for Health Miles to maintain a digital track of my every exercise move. I’m completely at choice. And, it’s all to the good. In exchange for the $1200 a year that it costs, each year that I’ve participated I’ve earned $250.00 and several hours of personal training sessions. I think I come out ahead in the long run. Plus I’m motivated to exercise. The pedometer is a huge motivator. And I think that anything that motivates me to exercise is a good thing. Plus I like the results.

I’ve been in this Health Miles program for over four years now, and in total I’ve amassed over 19,161,878 steps – an average of over 13,000 steps a day. And that doesn’t count Pilates, Yoga, and weight exercises.

Of course every year I say it’s time to slow down. I tell myself it’s okay to take a day off once in a while. It’s okay not to amass so many steps every day. Well, I haven’t followed up on that yet. Will this be the year that I slow down a bit? I’ll let you know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you Madeline! I admire you for being so determined and dedicated to your health and exercise. I have been very active since I was about 17 and this past year was the least active have ever been (stopped lifting weights). I took that "break" and it was nice for a while but not the same. Exercise makes me feel good about myself in so many ways. I am finding it is vital for me. The key is balance. I have a tendency to overdo it. I have begun to get back into my old routine and it feels great - the only thing is that I have to remember to be gentle with myself and not overdo it. It is okay to take a break! We have to honor ourselves - mind, body and spirit. :)

Tabitha Bird said...

Yep, it is okay to slow down :) It's okay to be still and be gentle to our bodies. I am a boxer, so I speak from one who understands the need for 'rest in between'.

Great to find your blog. I write memoir too. Oh, and poetry :)