Thursday, June 25, 2009

Remembering Farrah

June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett died today. She was 62 – just seven years younger than me. She had suffered for several years from anal cancer and was very brave trying to fight it. Her death brought up old memories for me.

I met her in the early 70s. We both got manicures from Emma – I wonder whatever happened to Emma the manicure miracle lady. I had an every other week date with my friend Carole to meet at Emma’s to get manicures and visit, and Farrah would sit right next to us. Carole knew Farrah – I think they were neighbors up near Roscomare Road and Mulholland. Farrah was in Carole’s cooking class.

I remember Farrah as being friendly and sweet even though she was already a huge success. And, while we were getting our manicures, Jodi Foster’s mother was waiting for hers and chatting with us. Jodi, a little girl of about 10, was always there too.
In those days, I like so many other women had the Farrah Fawcett shag haircut. I remember coming into Beverly Hills from Riverside, where Bob and I lived when we were first married, to get my hair cut from Armando – another Carole recommendation. It was the best haircut I ever had. All I ever did to take care of it was wash it, put in one large roller up on top of my head, and then wrap my wet hair all around my head, clip it into place, and go to sleep. I can’t imagine going to sleep with a wet head anymore. But, it worked. Voila. In the mornings my shag looker perfect.

Oh, and the reason I call Emma the manicure miracle lady is that her manicure lasted for two weeks. In those days my nails were long and painted bright red. She would give a complete manicure both on top and underneath my nails. And, she would fortify the underside with Ducco cement before putting polish on. This woman really knew what she was doing.

So, today I think of that sweet Farrah I knew so many years ago – and those other things I haven’t thought about for a very long time.

And wouldn’t you know it, another one of our icons also died today – Michael Jackson. He was only 50. What a super star he was. That moon walk and sparkly glove were really something.

I just hope there won’t be a third – they say all things come in threes. Well, I’ll think good thoughts that there will be only two this time.

Goodbye Farrah and Michael. What a day this has been!

No comments: