Thursday, September 30, 2010

Poem request

Yesterday I received two requests from The Compassionate Friends members asking me where they could read my poem, "Aftermath." I'm not quite sure how they heard about the poem since it was published in The Compassionate Friends newletter, "We Need Not Walk Alone," Summer issue way back in 2001.


So, I'm posting it here in case anyone else is interested. It will also appear in my memoir, Leaving the Hall Light On, to be released on May 9, 2011 by Lucky Press LLC.


Aftermath

They came in droves at first
out of concern, out of curiosity.
They sent flowers, cards
and sweet notes saying
call anytime
anytime at all.

Now it is quiet.
A few friends
invite us out,
or come by.
The rest have moved on
glad to have done their duty.

Don’t they know I’m not contagious?
My son’s death will not rub off.
I’m the same person I was before.
A sadder person, perhaps
but needing my friends
just the same.

No comments: