Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kudos to Facebook

I must give huge kudos to Facebook and its networking ability. I received a friend request this week from someone whose name I didn’t recognize. This happens from time to time from authors I don’t recognize, but who are mutual friends with other authors I know.

But, this request was different. I went to her page, saw who our mutual friends are, and immediately recognized her as the little granddaughter of my now-deceased brother and sister-in-law (my husband’s brother and his wife). We met her as a little girl while visiting them in Glendale New York many years ago -- I think 1998. She must have been about six or seven. But, that visit always stuck with me. She was so lovely and talkative. She sat next to me on the sofa in the living room, and we talked about her school and her home in upstate New York – her father, divorced from her mother lived with his mother in Glendale. He is now diseased as well.

Another subject I’ll always remember is hair scunci’s. She had a pony tail and her hair pulled back in one, and we wanted to know what her hair tie was called. And at the time I didn’t realize it was a brand name, not just the word scrunchy – something to tie back one’s hair.

So after that visit, I always thought of her when I bought a scunci product. This smart little girl had introduced me to them.

I asked about her when I was with her uncle in New York at the time of Bob’s brother’s death last January. And, it turns out she saw my comment on her uncle’s wall after his wife died a couple of months ago. So, it seems we were both thinking of each other.

Then all it took was one little click on Friend Request on my page for us to reconnect and catch up after all these years. From her photo I can tell she is quite grown up. I can’t wait to get to know her better.

So, thank you Facebook. You did good!

No comments: