Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm out of there!

It’s hard to imagine that I actually chose to work on a proposal rather than continue to work on my temporary Customer Relations job. Although the actual work was interesting – I got to interact with a lot of customer reps and my company’s top brass, and I had an excellent working relationship with a few of the people in the department, I just couldn’t stand the boss. She is the personification of a micromanager. Even her boss characterizes her as a person who only hires people she can control because she is so insecure. Well, I decided I wouldn’t let her control me, and I did that by gracefully taking my leave of her department. I sent her off a very inoffensive email today telling her that Friday is my last day. And, my excuse was I am needed on a must-win proposal. And that's the truth! I didn’t burn any bridges, and I even got in a few kudos for a couple of the people who work for her whom she doesn’t value in the least.

What I’ll never understand is that she hasn’t realized she can get a lot more out her employees with honey than with vinegar. Also, she is of the age – like me – where she can afford to sit back and relax and make way for others to move up the ladder. She actually rose to a high level in the company starting as a secretary, and now she cannot stand for anyone else do the same thing.

Anyhow, kudos to me. I’m out of there!

No comments: