Thursday, August 28, 2008

auld lang syne

I feel like I’ve been inundated with people from my past lately – like seeing my life story go by as these people come back into it. Bob, my high school journalism teacher and newspaper advisor, is now my friend on Facebook. Rik, who was my partner at an est-sponsored communications workshop over 30 years ago, was at the Downtown LA film festival where Ben’s short film was screened. Roger, who led that communications workshop and became a good friend when we volunteered for the Los Angeles World Hunger Event in 1980, and his wife, invited us to their 25th anniversary party. It’s hard to believe we went to their wedding 25 years ago. Gaye, an Esalen roommate about 10 years ago, called from Oregon for a plastic surgeon recommendation. Kim, another Esalen buddy, is also a Facebook friend. We had dinner last week with David and Lisa, who worked with us on a proposal four years ago. I had a long breakfast a few weeks ago with Jackie, who was a volunteer at The Wellness Community when I was the Development Director in the late 80s, discussing writing and children and just plain catching up. And, Marlene, an ex-neighbor now remarried, is back in my life again.

We saw several old friends in Colorado Springs last month who lived on Kwajalein, a Marshall Island in the South Pacific, while we were there in 1977-1978 – Bea and John, Martha and Russ, Sunny, Kay and Peter. And, next month it will be total auld lang syne when I go back to Winnetka, IL for my 50th high school reunion.

It’s all good.

No comments: