Saturday, October 25, 2008

Quote of the week -- or maybe the century

I went to the Governor's Women's Conference last Tuesday (October 22, 2008) hosted by Maria Shriver. It's my third time going to this event held every year at the Long Beach Convention Center, and each year the line up of celebrities and the numbers of people attending get bigger and better. This year we heard Warren Buffet, Madeleine Albright, Gloria Steinem, Condeleeza Rice, Billie Jean King, Bonnie Raitt, Bono, Cherie Blair, and a host of others who were on panels in the smaller break-out sessions. I had to practically push my way in to hear the panel Madeleine Albright was on, but it was well worth it. One of the topices was women serving as both vertical and horizontal mentors and helpers to other women just starting out and trying to make a success out of their lives.

Madeleine said: "There should be a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."

What a concept. I've seen so many women at my company hold back other women from advancing. I've seen so many women be mean to one another. I've seen so many not take their women colleagues seriously. These are crimes worth going to hell for. Madeleine sure was right on in my book.

No comments: