Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday gloom

I took my usual Sunday big long walk this morning, and it drizzled throughout. Though it was a light drizzle it was enough to wet my jacket and pony tail, but not enough to soak me through and through. I liked it. I prefer walking when the weather is gray.

Another gray day
(photo by Keith Alan Hamilton

However I had to watch my step. The sidewalks and Strand walkway were slippery. As a matter of fact, as I was walking downhill toward the beach I thought about the possibility of falling. With my husband and son both out of town I pondered whom I would call for help if I fell and broke something. Just then I walked over a sewer cover and slipped, fortunately catching myself before I fell.

But getting into balance was enough to reactivate the nagging soreness I’ve had in my left calf for the last two weeks. I thought I was over it until I attempted a Spinning class yesterday. I was okay peddling sitting down, but after a few minutes of peddling while standing, the pain came back  just as it’s done every time I’ve tried to get back to my favorite aerobic machine, the elliptical.

So if any of you have followed my blog for a while and read about my fitness claim – that I am always pain free – this new malady is blowing my claim right out of the water. Needless to say, I don’t like it.

Okay, tell me to ice, tell me to take an anti-inflammatory, tell me to just rest. Well, I ice, I take Advil twice a day, and I’m committed to stop trying the elliptical and Spinning for the next two weeks at least. Hopefully that will help, because for sure you’ll find me walking to the beach or on the treadmill at the gym no matter what. I’m a believer in working through the pain – if I should have any – and not giving in to it.


Wish me luck.

5 comments:

kathleen pooler said...

Okay, Madeline, I can't help myself. I'm going to put my health care provider hat on and advice you to get that calf pain checked out to make sure it's not a clot vs a calf strain. Please email me and let me know how you are. xo

Susan G. Weidener said...

Those gray skies give us time for reflection. Thank you for sharing. Keep moving.

madeline40 said...

Thank you for your concern, Kathy. I'm being very responsible - thanks to you.
Yes, those gray skies are definitely thinking skies, Susan. I love the gray of the morning - even the dark of the morning before any light has broken in.

Anonymous said...

Madeline, when I moved to the NW in 1983, I didn't think I'd ever grow accustomed to the gray days between October to June. Growing up in TN I was accustomed to more sunlight than gray. However, now the gray days are among some of my favorite. Hope the calf is healing and feeling more like normal.

madeline40 said...

Sherrey, I think my sister felt the same way right after moving to Portland from northern California. And now she also loved it there.
Thanks for asking about my calf. Mainly I checked out negative for a clot and the pain is lessoning. It's just a simple sprain that will take time to heal.