Tuesday, July 3, 2012

An homage to Norah

I couldn't let this week go by without a mention of the death of Norah Ephron. I'm sure you've all read the articles that have been circulating about her this week, so I won't even try to repeat. I just want to share a little about how she affected me - besides how much I loved her books and movies and her brilliance and that we were just about the same age. 


I was fortunate to hear her speak in person twice. And I have her autograph on her last book, I Remember Nothing. I feel fortunate for that too. Little did I know that the lists: 1) what she would miss and 2) what she wouldn't miss, that she put in that book  were hints that all was not well with her.





A Recipe to Remember

It’s just a simple recipe:
Mix together
two tablespoons of vinegar
two tablespoons of Dijon mustard.
Then slowly whisk in
six tablespoons of olive oil.
That’s it. It’s perfect and delicious.
I’ve been making it for years
since I read Norah’s novel,
Heartburn. She put
many recipes in that book.
Norah liked to cook – especially pie.
But the vinaigrette stuck.
Why not? It always gets rave reviews.
And last week
after I heard she died
I made it again
in her memory
She gave me
so much more than
a simple recipe.

No comments: