Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend diversions

Last night we saw "Farragut North" at the Geffen. Chris Noth, who plays Mr. Big in the Sex and the City TV series and films, and Chris Pine, who recently played Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek movie, starred. It’s a political satire about a press secretary aspiring to be a successful campaign manager like his boss. It is quite fast paced and smart, but I thought the second act and the Pine character’s temper tantrum dragged on much too long. The playwright is working on it as a screen play, and I think he has a lot of work to do. Plus, I was very disappointed in Noth as a stage actor. This is a big beautiful guy who comes off very well on screen, but his voice just isn’t strong enough for theater. We were in the fifth row, and he hardly projected to there. Even so he still looked beautiful.

And, today while Bob played golf I went to see "My Sister’s Keeper" – a film I could never interest him in seeing. It is definitely a tearjerker. I believe the script was taken from a true to life story – possibly without the medical emancipation lawsuit by an 11-year old – about a family having another child so it could be used as a donor to help save his/her leukemia-stricken sibling. I liked the acting – Cameron Diaz, Joan Cusack, Sofia Vassilieva, Jason Patrick. And, I found the story very touching though a bit unbelievable considering the actions of the girl’s lawyer and the judge. Perhaps it’s a film for my women readers out there. The guys would probably prefer something with a little more action.

No matter. It's good to have entertainment diversions especially since next week promises to be busy at work.

No comments: