Friday, July 31, 2009

The end of a fast

If I choose today could be the last day of my alcohol fast. I’ve been dry since June 21, the day after our nephew's wedding. I usually stay dry in July and January, but this year I started early because I felt I had had too much to drink over the wedding weekend.

Right now I’m hesitant to go back to drinking at all. Normally, I never imbibe too much – a glass or two of wine most every day. But, staying dry feels better. I don’t wake up with headaches, and as a result I’ve lost some weight. It actually looks like my belly has flattened. So, when I think hard about it, why would I go back? I can still socialize without drinking – water is perfectly acceptable and so is a cup of tea.

But, I know me. I like red wine – especially zinfandel, and I know I don’t want to give it up forever. However, I do know that I want to drink less – just what I always say at the end of a fast. Unfortunately, as past experience has shown, pretty soon I’m back to my usual ways.

Well, this year I’m motivated to cut back for medical reasons. My recent routine complete blood count showed that my red blood cells have grown a little fatter than normal. That is usually a sign of Vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency, but I’m normal there on both counts. I also have a healthy liver. So, my doctor thinks my metabolism might have changed and I’m now drinking too much alcohol for my small frame. But, then again, she says it’s nothing I should lose sleep over when I pressed her to tell me what really is the matter with me. It could be genetic, it could be old age, it could be nothing.

So, I’ve decided to do a year-long experiment. Drink less for a year, still continute with my alcohol fasts in July and January, and see if my next CBC comes out any better. And, writing it down here makes it a real commitment - something I can't very well renege on. Look for my post on July 31, 2010 to see how it all turns out.

No comments: