Saturday, January 3, 2009

More movies

We've been catching up on our movie going -- taking advantage of the time off during the holidays and trying to get in some of the movies that will likely be up for some kind of award next month.

Since Christmas Day we've seen:
Frost/Nixon
Yes Man
Gran Torino

Plus a couple on Netflix:
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.

Also, right before Christmas we saw:
Seven Pounds

Well in my humble opinion Frost/Nixon was no where as good as Slumdog Millionaire and Milk, and Yes Man was a real loser. It was a great way to have a light time on New Year's Eve, but it wasn't even particularly funny. Seven Pounds had a pretty good script, but it was depressing as hell.

But, I will put Gran Torino up there with my best picks for this round of viewing. Clint is at his best, playing the part of a tough guy -- and a really old tough guy at that. Even so, he pulls it off perfectly. I went thinking this may well be my last chance to see him on the big screen again, and didn't expect to see anything special. So, I was pleasantly surprised how great this film is. Surely Clint has a few more films in him. And, if he does I'll be back at the theater to watch him again.

Our movie days may be a little more limited in the weeks leading up to the Oscars, but I do have a bunch on my list yet to see as soon as I can:
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Last Chance Harvey
Doubt

Oh, well the list goes on and on. And, if we don't make it to the movie theater, there's always Netflix. We'll probably have to catch Australia that way since it's disappeared from the theaters already.

No comments: