Saturday, August 10, 2013

The talking rock

My five days of writing at Esalen at Big Sur, California were wonderful. I wrote five poems and heard some valuable new writing information, which I plan to share with you in the next couple of weeks.

Esalen is getting more and more into the twenty-first century. They've added Internet service in the dining room - where everyone congregates whether it's meal time or not - and we were lucky to have it in our meeting room as well.

However, there is no cell phone access anywhere on the property.

I usually take a walk first thing - much like I do at home - and last year I saw a young man - probably an Esalen staff person - standing on top of a large rock by the side of the highway talking on his cell phone. So I decided to investigate and sure enough I got cell phone reception - not the best, only three little bars, but definitely enough to make a call. Also, the young man told me in which direction to point my phone for best results.

This year I walked the same route - north about twenty-five minutes - on Highway One, and I stopped at the rock every morning on my way back to call my husband. It worked like a charm. The best part of this discovery is I don't have to wait to use a pay phone on the Esalen property anymore. 

Thought you'd like to see what my Talking Rock looks like. By the way, it has a nice ocean view.


My Talking Rock
In case you're wondering, I didn't stand on the rock, I stood on the ocean side of it.

No comments: