Monday, October 15, 2012

At the opera


For the last two Sunday afternoons, my husband Bob and I attended a LA Opera performance at the Los Angeles Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Although Bob doesn’t like to go to musical theater, he willingly goes to the opera about five or six times a year. I am forever grateful to him for agreeing to participate in my passion.

Last Sunday we saw "The Two Foscari," one of Verde’s earlier, and consequently, lesser-known operas. But with Placido Domingo playing the lead role, it was wonderful. The beauty of the music makes up for a grim and tragic story.

Yesterday we saw Mozart’s "Don Giovanni," played by the gorgeous and intense bass operatic star, Ildebrando D'Arcangelo, with Placido Domingo conducting. At the end of "Don Giovanni" only the lead character dies and well deservedly so. All the rest of the characters will lead very happy lives without him. Mozart’s masterful pace and playfulness punctuated every scene.

Even at the time the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion opened in December 1964, I was enthralled by the chandeliers and ceiling decorations in the lobbies and public meeting rooms. Last Sunday and yesterday I spent a little time shooting a few photos with my cellphone.  Here are a few results.





No comments: