Thursday, August 25, 2011

Birthday celebrations as we age


One of my dear friends recently said, "I don't even want to go anywhere to celebrate ... there is not a whole lot to celebrate about getting old." This reminded me of a quote I've been repeating for a lot of years: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" attributed to Satchel Paige. I turned 71 at my last birthday. But I feel as vital as I did in my 50s and 60s.
Why then, as some of us get older, do we want to stop celebrating our birthdays? Is it because we don't want to recognize the fact that we're actually getting older, we don't feel that we're worth the celebration now that we're old, or we feel remorse about the way we've lived our lives? It's probably a bit of all three.
Read the rest on AOL/Huffington Post Healthy Living.

2 comments:

Pam Rice said...

I enjoy all of Mrs Madelline's writings. I will comment on the suicide. Any one that attempts or succeeds at suicide, are definitely not in their right mind. And no graceful forgiving God that we have, would punish a person for being in the pain one has for committing such an act.
I too witnessed a brother at age 23, take his life,in an awlful way. But god that gives life, is the only one that permits death.They have no more pain aand no tears in heaven. Pam Rice

Pam Rice said...

suide, death, tears, heaven