· "There were 34,598 reported suicide deaths with suicide the fourth leading cause of death for adults between the ages of 18 and 65 years in the United States (28,628 suicides).
· Currently, suicide is the eleventh leading cause of death in the United States.
· A person dies by suicide about every fifteen minutes in the United States.
· Every day, approximately ninety Americans take their own life.
· Ninety percent of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
· There are four male suicides for every female suicide, but three times as many females as males attempt suicide.
· There are an estimated eight to twenty-five attempted suicides for every suicide death."
There are also alarming statistics regarding the rise of suicide rates in the armed forces. In 2009 there were 334 suicide deaths and twenty to thirty percent of veterans suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. Finally the military is looking at ways to erase the stigma of mental disease and suicide so that our service people needing help won't hesitate to go ask for it.