Sunday, October 25, 2009

The same old choices keep re-emerging

This was the 14th day in a row that I went into work. Of course I don’t work the long full days on the weekends like I do during the week, but I still went in. And this pace will continue until the night before Thanksgiving – exactly one month from today.

The way I’m feeling now, I can’t guarantee that I’ll ever do this again. In fact, I’m thinking of my options yet again:
• Ask my boss if I can work part time – 20 hours or more with benefitsw
• Officially retire and come back once in a while as a contractor
• Give up my day job all together and concentrate on my writing
• Get back to planning to live in Italy which means getting back to my Italian lessons. I definitely could write as well there as here and I could take a few cooking classes besides.

Needless to say the options are there. Whether or not I even have the energy to pursue them is the big unknown. Whether or not I trust that I can stand not working is another unknown. And the most important unknown is what the state of the economy will do in the next few years. Can I really afford not to work entirely? Can both Bob and I afford not to work for months at a time?

No comments: