Thursday, April 2, 2009

April poem no. 2

We went to Denver last weekend, flying the day after a spring blizzard. And, since the prompt for the Facebook April Poem a Day Challenge was to write an outsider poem, I wrote one today about arriving in Denver in below freezing weather and leaving three days later with the temperature at over 60 degrees. I was a real outsider totally unprepared for the rapid change in the weather. My sister-in-law always says if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. I should listen to her.

Spring Snow

We land the day after
the great Colorado blizzard.
Snow and ice cover everything:
the fields,
roof tops,
budding branches,
our boots,
early pansies,
and the mountains surrounding the city.

I come prepared for 19 degree weather,
with my winter coat
not worn for years
and a wool scarf, gloves, and a hat
resurrected from
a storage box on the top shelf
of my closet in California.

What I’m not prepared for
is the hot sun
and ever-increasing temperature,
so that by the time we depart
three days later,
the walkways are wet with pools
of thawing ice,
and the birds are out again
chirping their Spring songs.

No comments: