Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas day -- a day for going to the movies

We saw a terrific movie this afternoon – “Slumdog Millionaire.” Perhaps it’s the best movie I’ve seen all year. Such a vivid portrayal of the streets of India and the life of street children and how they were exploited and abused and even mutilated! It was heavy and then uplifting in the end. And, so full of the sights and sounds of Mumbai -- a part of India that probably no tourist ever gets a chance to see.

Later, after dinner, we went to see "Milk," the story of the first openly gay elected official. The phenomena of Harvey Milk and his gay rights movement happened in the 70s when I was a young mother and too preoccupied to pay attention to what was going on in the world around me. Also, when he finally came into power and was later assassinated we were living on Kwajalein where we were deprived of news of the goings on in the States. That was my loss. Seeing this movie tonight was a look back in a part of history that I unfortunately had no connection to. I’m glad to say I had the opportunity to go back tonight and catch up. The movie is well acted, well written, and definitely well worth seeing. Sean Penn is so believable in the role – he doesn’t shrink from fully acting the part of a homosexual.

So, two good movies in one day -- a great way to spend this day.

No comments: